Melody








ISBN-13: 9780062348890
PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
Publication Date: 7 July 2015
Format: Paperback, 432 pgs
Source: Publisher


Magician-turned-FBI-agent Jessica Blackwood returns in this sequel to Angel Killer; in which the last investigation case requires her intelligence and her expertise in the art of illusions, something which she'd done in the past and tried to bury after she'd left home to live on her own. Her father and grandfather had worked together in countless performances on stage, and Jessica was taught to perform little acts since she was a girl. However, one incident had nearly caused her death, and she'd tried to shun away from performing since then. Her relationship with her grandfather remains lukewarm, but she respect him and would still approach him for some magic advice, just like the case she's looking into in this installment. 

An explosion took away four lives in a church and a local sheriff is the suspect until he was found dead eventually. The FBI has gathered evidence that these people had known each other and that their death are connected to an event happened years ago. But what they aren't sure of is is the sheriff's erratic behaviour is psychological or pharmacological. Did someone lead him to doing something under a confused mind? 

As Jessica digs further, she realises there's something more than meets the eye and someone wants her dead, as well. With no evidence of her suspicion and no support from her superiors, Jessica knew she has to rely on her own to unravel all the truth and she is fortunate she has one or two reliable agents who trusted her and Damian Knight, an ex-boyfriend who seems to have many connections but whose real identity remains a mystery to many, including Jessica. 

From state cities to rural Tixato in Mexico, Jessica learnt that whoever is responsible for the church explosion is someone who has intelligence, resources and power to rid of any links pointing at him or her and the ultimate purpose of all is to seek revenge of what happened on one fateful night involving the sheriff and victims of the church explosion. 

If there's magic and mayhem in the first installment, Angel Killer, then there's actions and more actions in this sequel as there are implications ranging from diabolical forces to drug cartels to the Vatican that have our determined heroine running around. While I found the actions entertaining, what I also enjoyed reading about this book is Jessica's relationship with her grandfather as I felt it is more in depth here. Raised from a family of illusionists, Jessica is fully aware of the danger they are always in and perhaps because of this mindset, she isn't afraid of taking chances and relying on her instincts. I also liked reading about the complicated relationship she'd had with Damian. I still wasn't sure about him, but after saving Jessica for countless times (despite his obsessive attention on her) I think he wouldn't be that bad of a character, right? 

Reading this book has also set me thinking that some things may not always seem what we think them to be. Right and wrong, good and bad... there's always a fine line between them and sometimes it's hard to judge them, viewing from different perspectives. While Name of the Devil is a sequel, it could be read as a standalone but I'd recommend reading it in order for the characters development. 
10 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    "Magician-turned-FBI-agent"-- catches my attention right away. I haven't read anything by Andrew Mayne, but this series sounds interesting. Guess I should look for Angel Killer first. :)


  2. Kay Says:

    I want to read this series. Like Jenclair, the whole 'FBI agent also trained as magician' is very intriguing. Certainly different. I'm pretty sure I have Angel Killer on my Kindle already. LOL


  3. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I was intrigued by that too! Hope you'll enjoy Angel Killer. :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Kay - I'm glad to hear that, Kay! Hope you'll enjoy this series as much as I did! :)


  5. I skimmed your review, Melody as I hope to get to this one soon. I remember reading your review of Killer Angel and knowing I wanted to try this series then. I love the premise and am excited to get to it.


  6. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did, Wendy. :)


  7. Iliana Says:

    Now this is a character with a unique background for sure! What a great series you've discovered. Will have to keep this one on my radar.


  8. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I hope you'll enjoy reading this, Iliana. I definitely like the unique background. :)


  9. The Bookworm Says:

    This sounds like another thrilling read, I like that he used to be a magician.


  10. Melody Says:

    Naida - Me too, Naida. Overall it was a great and intense reading experience. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.