Melody

Satay is considered one of the popular eateries in Singapore. Originated from Indonesia, satay is basically a dish of grilled marinated meat (chicken, beef or mutton) served with spicy peanut sauce. This dish is usually accompanied with cucumber cubes, ketupat (rice cakes) and some onion slices. Before I became vegetarian, my favourite used to be mutton satay. Mutton tends to have a stronger flavour but with the marinated spices, it covers up the 'mutton-y' smell or flavour (plus there's the peanut sauce, too.) 


Anyway, finding vegetarian satay is a challenge (well, some vegetarian food stalls do have them but not all) so I was thrilled to find packets of frozen vegetarian satay in a supermarket. And, it comes with a sauce dip too. While I don't have a griller, I found frying is another great alternative, too. (Just make sure the oil doesn't cover those sticks. And yes, they taste equally yummy!)


Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. For more information, see the welcome post.

8 Responses
  1. Beth F Says:

    I love satay, but I can't eat peanuts anymore. Fortunately I have found that Sunbutter makes a good substitute, so I've been experimenting with making my own sauce.


  2. Kay Says:

    There used to be a restaurant here in my town that was called Satay. Those look really good and sound tasty. I'm reading about the most interesting foods on Weekend Cooking.


  3. Jennifer Says:

    Satay - yummy!! One of my favorite meals when we visit!!


  4. I just read a book set in Singapore (Crazy Rich Asians) ,and I loved the food descriptions.


  5. Melody Says:

    Beth - I'm glad you've found a better substitute for peanuts. And experimenting new sauces can be fun. :)


  6. Melody Says:

    Kay - Oh, so do they serve Asian food?
    I love reading all the posts on Weekend Cooking! So interesting and of course, not to mention the pics and the recipes.


  7. Melody Says:

    Jennifer - I know, Sis! And carrot cakes!!! :D


  8. Melody Says:

    Diane - I've yet to read that book and it has piqued my interest. It's always interesting to read a book that's set in your own country. ;)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.