Melody


ISBN-13: 9781594746260
Publisher: Quirk Publishing
Publication Date: 16 July 2013
Format: Paperback, 320 pgs
Source: Personal Library





It's only seventy-seven days left before asteroid 2011GVwill plow into planet Earth and destroy everything. And Detective Henry "Hank" Palace is no longer a policeman. No, he didn't quit his job. The federal Department of Justice has simply dissolved the Adult Crimes Unit and the rest of the detective divisions but there are still cops around the neighbourhoods to ensure that there is no public disturbance. 

That said, Detective Palace isn't entirely a free man. He's still worried over his sister Nico, who has decided to leave home for some absurd reasons that have to do with the asteroid and the belief that a special mission she's into would help save the Earth. And on top of that, an old friend who's used to be their babysitter has approached him one day and claimed that her husband has gone missing. 

Martha believes Brett, an ex-state trooper, is an honourable man; one who is responsible and loyal. Thus, she's devastated that he left her without a word. She's sure Brett is somewhere, and that he has reasons for his leaving. Detective Palace begins to look for clues and information surrounding Brett, and he learnt that Brett's "retirement" from the troop began after an unsolved case. As the more Detective Palace digs, his finds lead him to an encampment place where the refugees staying there have their own set of rules, and Detective Palace has to use his wits to get some clues from a few of them.  

In this second installment, author Ben H. Winters has weaved a gloomy tale of the New Hampshire city; a sorrowful setting with people scrambling for survival, for suicidal, for the things they have not done but would do so under this circumstances. They are all in a state of countdown mode, and it's a matter of doing things one deems is worthy, regardless the morality. 

This story may be Detective Palace's case of searching for a missing person, but in whole I think it's very much of a story of family love and promises: Brett's promise to Martha that he would be with her until doomsday, and then the promises Detective Palace and Nico had made when they were children. Their stories had struck a chord in me differently. As with the first installment, the humanity issue remains the top element of this story but the emotional feelings it evoked have doubled in this second installment.  

I'm really very curious on how this trilogy is going to end. And what's good about this book is it could be read as a standalone, though it's always the best to start with the first book. As for the final installment, I really didn't know what to expect. I guess I'll stay hopeful like Detective Palace's sister, Nico, for now until I get to it. 
10 Responses
  1. Violet Says:

    Never heard if this trilogy. Should try reading fro the first one Definitely looks interesting.

    http://booksatvioletcrush.com/BLOG/blog/


  2. Melody Says:

    Violet - I find the plot interesting; but most of all the various behaviours of different people reacting under this calamity.

    I hope you'll enjoy reading this trilogy!


  3. I really liked this one too. We got to see more into Hank's life and seeing how he and the other characters deal with the coming asteroid. Hurry up and read the final book so we cant talk about the ending! ;-)


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I bought the first in this series a couple of weeks ago, after reading about it on several blogs and seeing that it was enjoyable. I just skimmed your review so I wouldn't get spoilers, but saw at the end that you said you liked it. Good to hear!


  5. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Yes, I really enjoyed reading more of Hank in this book. It's more emotional-filled in this one isn't it.

    Looking forward to the final installment! :)


  6. Melody Says:

    Rita - I hope you'll enjoy the book as much as I did!


  7. Unknown Says:

    Great review, Melody! I loved the first book in this trilogy, and I'm looking forward to this one.


  8. Melody Says:

    Irene - Thanks, Irene! I hope you'll enjoy this as well. Looking forward to your review.


  9. jenclair Says:

    I wasn't initially interested in this series, but all the reviews have been positive. Now, I think I will get the first one and see how it goes. I should have taken the first one when NetGalley offered it!


  10. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I didn't take notice of this series when it was first published. I suppose it's due to the sci-fi theme and that's why I didn't pay much attention until all the glowing reviews come in. Anyway the sci-fi element is minimal, and I like the hero. I hope you'll enjoy this series!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.