Melody

ISBN-13: 9781771380201
Publisher: Kids Can Press, Limited
Publication Date: 1 August 2014
Format: ebook, 32 pgs
  • Age range: 3 - 7 Years
Source: Netgalley



It's been a long time since I'd shared my thoughts on Children's Fiction I read here. While browsing through Netgalley, I found this adorable Children's Fiction featuring Red Riding Hood. Well to be exact, she's a little girl called Ruby who likes to dress in her red cloak and thinks of herself as a superhero who goes out of her way to save the day. 

One sunny afternoon, her mom asks her to pick some raspberries in the woods. With a flashlight and a lunch box in hand, she bids her mom goodbye and set out to the woods. Despite the chill drifted out from the shadowy darkness in the woods, she trots ahead and tell herself that a superhero must be silent like a cat and watch out for danger. She meets several small animals on the way, but her final encounter is one yellow-toothed and a huge-clawed wolf. 

Ruby uses her 'superhero' skills to avoid the wolf, but it turns out that the poor wolf is simply feeling hungry, after all. So what did Ruby do? Like a superhero who always helps those in need, she shares her raspberries with the wolf together under the big oak tree. 

Super Red Riding Hood is an adorable retelling of the children's favourite folk-tales but unlike the original tale, this little story has a humorous twist to it. Aside from the bright, colourful illustrations, another thing I liked about this picture book is the message it conveys - do not judge others quickly, be brave and to share. This is simply a wonderful picture book which I'd enjoyed reading with my youngest daughter (who's six). She's especially attracted to Ruby and the red things she adorns (cloak, boots, lunch box). And of course, she too thinks that being a superhero is cool. 

3 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    The best children's books are those that both adults and children love. :)


  2. I like the sound of this! I like books in which girls play a strong role. I think my daughter would enjoy this story.


  3. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I totally agree! :)

    Wendy - Me too, Wendy! I hope Mouse will enjoy it too if she reads it. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.